Friday, June 17, 2016

One Year Later

Dear readers,

I truly meant to update you on my activity sooner than this, but a month flew by much faster than I anticipated. Between freelancing and continuing to search for opportunities in NoVa, there wasn't much time to write, nor did I feel like there was much to update you on.

Of course, this was my error as a blogger: punctuality is key. However, with today marking one year since I began writing under the alias of TiaTravelstheWorld, I thought it a good time to go back and look at how my traveler's status has evolved to today.

In many ways, not so much. At least not to the degree I was hoping for. The furthest I've traveled from home in the past year has been NYC (for only a few hours, though believe me it was worth it). The most unexpected trip (aside from the U2 concert) was a weekend at the Homestead resort. I never completed my goal to travel to Wales, nor have I driven cross country, which I've been talking about for years.

Instead of this year being a time for adventure, it was a year of stressing out over how to obtain the goals for myself. I had many sleepless nights and tears shed over the small issue of finding a job in NoVa.

And finally, almost a year later, it all fell into place. At the end of May, I applied for an internship, gained an interview and was offered a position within three days - something I never thought possible! I start in a week, which means in about three days I'm moving to NoVa! (Honestly, after trying to make this a reality for three years, you have no idea how good it feels).

It was a long struggle, and one that I tried to keep everyone aside from some close friends from seeing. Though I am convinced that each seemingly-minuscule step I took throughout this year was a link to my current opportunity. I never would have gotten through to my city paper's editor if I hadn't served him coffee a dozen times, and it was that story (which never made into the paper itself) that caught the eye of the editor at the News Virginian, where I gained most of my journalism experience, worked with a fellow Eagle (!) and which in turn got me the internship at ProActive.

So, yeah, it was a hell of year. But I kept the advice of my favorite politician in mind: When you're going through Hell, keep going (Churchill), and  it led to something I never thought I'd be capable within a few years of graduating.

Now I've hit the most surreal moment of my life so far: I'm breaking out of my two star town like I've wanted to for years...and it's happening so fast, faster than I expected. Somehow I've found the job, the car, the apartment (just this morning!) and it's like whoa, slow down a minute. It's been a whirlwind of trying to catch up with friends before I move and making sure I have all the last minute necessities together.

(Also, I realized with moving on my own away from family, children and pets I'll have more time to write!)

But back to traveling! Of course, being closer to DC means more non-touristy adventures, but there are several trips I have coming up: back to NYC (for longer than seven hours), Philly, Baltimore, and a few other destinations too. The biggest one will be Geneva next year (TBD) when David's parents move to Europe and I get to go with my love to see one of the many countries on my bucket list. Don't worry, I'll keep you updated!

I honestly have all of you to thank for keeping my head (and soul) above water as I struggled to find direction. I've received more encouragement from my readers here and I can't thank you enough. Wherever you are, this isn't goodbye - I'll be in touch through here, phone, Facebook or person! I love you all.

Xoxo,

Victoria



No comments:

Post a Comment