Tuesday, October 27, 2015

New York, New York

A lot can change within a few months.

Last spring, I was set on completing my graduate degree at Bangor University in Wales and making multiple side trips to London, Ireland and the surrounding UK highlights. But, as fate would have it, I chose not to go to Wales and am instead writing fashion reviews from my apartment in Harrisonburg, Virginia.

Sometimes I really wish I had taken a chance, come up with the money and gone to Bangor. Studying abroad is a once in a lifetime opportunity, but after looking into the program I realize that an MA won't be enough to pursue my goal to teach university. And if I hadn't been freaking out over the fact that I wasn't in school and desperately in need of writing experience I wouldn't have been applying to high profile fashion publications...to cut it short, I wouldn't be where I am today, and that's something I wouldn't change for the world.

Having said that, I don't want to stay in the Valley (Shenandoah Valley; my boyfriend loves to call me a Valley girl, but a lot of people read that as being from California, myself included). At least not long term. And being in a serious relationship, I don't relish the idea of relocating abroad where I'll at best see my guy four times a year and face a 5+ hour time difference. (que tears)

So, I've set my sights on a city a little closer to home. Where the lights are brighter, the fashion industry is literally) right at my doorstep, and there is a chance to take my cat without a 6 month quarantine period.

Empire State Building (New York, New York). More photos at http://jamesclear.com/photography

Yes, I'm perfectly aware that life in the Big Apple is no Friends or How I Met Your Mother, and certainly it's no Gossip Girl. But I also know that New York is the biggest spot in America for the fashion industry and for writers (double score!). Of course, a lot of this decision will be made on the Creative and Professional Writing MFA at William Paterson in New Jersey (which I'll be going to check out in two weeks).

I'll be honest, the idea of relocating to a huge metropolis scares me. A lot. But I'm in my twenties, and this is the time for me to take risks in life. I've always wanted the experience of living in the city before having children, and discovering my passion for fashion (sorry, had to use it) has made me think more seriously about taking the step towards NYC Life.

New Yorkers (and any of my lovely readers) - any thoughts?? Comment below!

Cheers,
Victoria

No comments:

Post a Comment