Friday, April 15, 2016

Follow Me To...


Hello readers!

Summer is almost upon us (doesn't feel like it to me, but it's so close!) and I'm starting to compile a list of places to go now that my traveling companions are nearly finished their semesters.

Of course, as an avid travel lover, it's so hard for me to narrow down all the places I want to go. Plus there's the whole work commitment, financial limitations, blah, blah, blah...essentially, I'm trying to be realistic here, so the European tour and cross-country road trip are going to have to go on hold for a little while.

I'm mainly looking for day/weekend trips throughout the DMV region (or anywhere in Virginia for that matter)....and I'm looking at you for suggestions!

Tell me what places you love in Virginia, DC and the surrounding areas, or if your favorite destination is more than a day trip away share your most money-saving savvy tips on how to travel there!

And to thank you all, here are some of my favorite hidden attractions in Virginia:

Roosevelt Island


This spot of wilderness is in the middle of the Potomac between DC and Rosslyn. Of course, how can such a place exist in the middle of DC? I was amazed when hiking through the island's overgrown trails to see metropolitan buildings rising over the border of the Potomac and hearing the roar of the occasional plane overhead. It's a great way to get away for a hike when out for a day of memorial hopping through DC, plus you get to see a massive memorial to Theodore Roosevelt built in the center of the island!

Swannandoa Castle


Just off I-64 in Afton, this Italianate mansion is stunning despite years of neglect, and tours are frequently offered through the castle and the surrounding grounds. I have not been here personally, but I've heard a lot of great stories from friends and co-workers and am definitely making a trip this summer (anyone down?). The pictures of both architecturally beautiful and chills-down-your-spine creepy, especially the watchtower in the back which looks like a convenient place to lock up captured prisoners.

Occoquan


Located on the Occoquan that borders Prince William County in Northern Virginia, this sweet downtown setting is completely removed from the surrounding suburbs. Occoquan is ideal for a casual stroll for summer afternoons, complete with small shops like a dog bakery and wine shop. A dock also offers boat (and paddleboat, I think!) rentals. Plus, cute townhouses that I'm trying to convince my boyfriend would be perfect for a DC commute without being overwhelmed by NoVa's suburbs...

 
Charlottesville Wine Country

I love vineyard hopping, and the Charlottesville region offers some of the most beautiful vineyards and sumptuous wines I've ever tasted. My personal favorites are Jefferson, Trump (no comment about the political candidate) First Colony and Blenheim, and Blenheim in particular has a gorgeous view of the vineyard and mountains. The best part about this particular region is that you can hit five or more vineyards in a single afternoon while still hitting up the Downtown Mall for a lunch break.

And outside of Virginia...Thames Street, Baltimore

During spring break of senior year, my two best girls and I spent two days in Baltimore, intending to visit the aquarium, but at $40 a person, blew off sea animals to go shopping. That night, we walked from our hotel to Thames Street for mango margaritas and Irish coffees by the waterfront. Early March temperatures made this walk brutal, but summer would have made those high heels and sleeveless dresses way more comfortable. I recommend On the Horse You Came in On and Tir na nOg Irish pub and bar for delicious crab and rude Irish waiters. ;)
 
I look forward to hearing your favorite day trip destinations, and hope you'll try out some of these!

xoxo,
Victoria

No comments:

Post a Comment